Moody National Bank, formerly the City National Bank, received its charter from the Comptroller of Currency in 1907.
The City National Bank began operating in leased facilities in the Trust Building at 2228 Avenue E. The Bank was later relocated to a building on the corner of Tremont and Market Street until 1920.
In 1920 a new bank was built at 2219 Market Street. In 1962 a need for more space was felt and a new bank facility was constructed at 2302 Post Office, the present location of Moody National Bank.
In 1927, the City National Bank was granted trust powers, but full Trust Operations began in 1928. Today the Bank's Trust Department is one of the largest and oldest in our state.
During its early growth and expansion, the City National Bank merged with the Galveston National Bank and continued to grow over the years. In honor of the Bank's principal founder, the late W.L. Moody, Jr., the City National Bank changed its name in 1953 to Moody National Bank.
Mr. W.L. Moody, Jr, who founded the Bank, was a prominent Galveston Financier and served as President until his death in 1954. Mrs. Mary Moody Northen succeeded her father as the President and Chairman of the Board. Cary T. Mayfield and Thomas L. Mayfield served as President of the Bank from the 1960's to the 1980's. In 1988, Robert L. Moody began serving as President and Chairman of the Board with Walter L. Syers serving as the Bank's Chief Operating Officer. In August 1993, Syers was appointed president and served until mid 2000. Victor R. Pierson was elected President in 2000, Chief Executive Officer in 2015, and Chairman of the Board in 2016. Robert L. Moody serves as Chairman Emeritus.
The bank currently has 16 locations and continues to expand in Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Travis and Harris County.